Top Advocacy Goals for the GCSA
Engage policymakers in support of charter schools and influence positive legislation for charter schools.
- · Explore the contextual, legal and financial feasibility of encouraging the creation of a Charter PAC.
Enhance and increase availability of affordable facilities to charters.
- Tighten language of HB555 to be more specific about “unused” district facilities and include Commission schools as recipients.
- Create and make available a database of available district facilities statewide.
- Plan an independent study of Georgia’s charter school facility environment and effects on quality schools. Seek credible research authorities to conduct the study.
- Seek bonding authority for charter facilities.
- Seek creation of credit enhancement program(s) for charter facilities.
Advocate for legislation and rules which increase accountability and quality of charter schools.
- Seek legislation/rules requiring charter school board members to participate in mandatory “approved” charter board training.
Promote legal advocacy to protect and enhance legislation that extends and protects the rights of charter schools, including equitable per-pupil and facilities funding for charter schools.
- Continue rigorous defense of HB881 and Commission approved charter schools through the State Supreme Court.
- Educate and encourage charter schools to use legal means to seek funding equity and unused facilities.
- Make Legal Advocacy Fund self-sustaining through donations and repayment programs (ongoing).