Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2012-13 school year, 24 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 22 states and expect to serve more than 45,000 students in grades K-12 (some schools do not serve all grades) from across the U.S.
Georgia Connections Academy is a tuition-free, full-time virtual school, authorized by the Georgia Charter Schools Commission. Our mission is to maximize academic achievement for students in grades K–12 throughout the state of Georgia who need an alternative to the traditional classroom. Georgia Connections Academy fulfills the intent of the Georgia legislature in the Charter School Law to “increase student achievement through academic and organizational innovation” by reaching students for whom a cutting-edge virtual approach provides the best pathway to school success. Connections Academy is a division of Connections Education, which is accredited by AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from our office in Duluth, GA, the Manager of Special Education, who reports to the School Principal, will manage educational service delivery for our students with special education needs. The Manager will implement the Georgia Connections Academy Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) procedures and ensure that the school operates in compliance with all Georgia and federal regulations.
The Manager of Special Education will make certain that the school is providing appropriate programs in the least restrictive environment for all students with special needs. Duties will include management of the pre-referral and Case conference committee processes, maintenance of student data, communication with parents, collaboration with service providers throughout the state, and the following:
• Manage the implementation of the Georgia Connections Academy IDEA procedures, including procedures for IEP development, placement, evaluation and re-evaluation of students with disabilities;
• Maintain documentation within the IEP program and the Learning Management System that captures and organizes special education timelines and data;
• Coordinate the set-up and delivery of IEP mandated services to students;
• Communicate and consult with teachers and Learning Coaches regarding the instructional program for students with disabilities or other special needs;
• Oversee the development, tracking, dissemination and proper implementation of IEP or 504 plan mandated accommodations for students with special needs during state testing events;
• Coordinate implementation and proper administration of the Student Support Team (SST) process; participate in SST meetings as required;
• Collaborate with the corporate staff and members of the local school team concerning all facets of programming for students with special needs, from pre-referral intervention to transition and dismissal;
• Work directly with parents, as needed, to answer questions and ensure that all school actions are in compliance and that students are learning in the Least Restrictive Environment;
• Develop a working knowledge of Connections Academy’s curricular options, and how they can be adapted and implemented to meet specific student needs; Introduce new ways of supporting special needs students in a virtual environment;
• Provide supervision to the special education teacher(s);
• Plan, implement, and evaluate staff in-service activities; and
• Performs such other duties as assigned by the School Principal or corporate Senior Director of Student Services.
• Masters’ Degree in Special Education or related Education Field
• Special Education Certification in Georgia
• A minimum of 3 years fulltime successful teaching experience in special education
• Successful track record of supervising, managing, and supporting a team of Special Education Teachers at various grade levels
• Expertise in special education law and compliance
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Customer focused approach
• High degree of flexibility
• Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
• Technologically proficient (especially with Microsoft Office products)
• Occasional travel (less than 10%)
Please visit www.connectionsacademy.com/