Chattahoochee Hills Charter School – Director of Operations (Fulton)
Job Title: Director of Operations (DOPS)
School/Entity: Chattachoochee Hills Charter School
Status: Full-time, Salary, Exempt
Reports To: Principal
Chattahoochee Hills Charter School (CHCS) is a first-year, open-enrollment public charter school serving families residing in Fulton County, Georgia. CHCS, located south of Atlanta, is a recently approved charter school opening in August 2014 with grades K-5 for the 2013 – 2014 academic year. Commencing with 2014 – 2015 academic year, CHCS will add one grade level each year through the 8th grade. CHCS embodies student/teacher engagement and interactive learning, and will feature 15 students per class with a total enrollment of 270.
Our mission is to inspire all of our children to the highest levels of academic achievement through rigorous curriculum that integrates the wonders of the natural world. CHCS’s goal is for our students to cultivate the capacity to achieve a meaningful, healthy, flourishing life that embodies responsibility, stewardship, and experimental engagement with the arts, agriculture and environment in informed, imaginative, and rigorous ways.
Thus, CHCS’s focus involves a hands-on, thematic instructional approach, using the institution’s unique rural environment as a framework for student learning. At CHCS, students will select a thematic academic track—agriculture, environment, and arts—from which lenses the state and federal educational performance standards can be achieved.
The Director of Operations leads all aspects of enterprise finance and operation matters, including all strategy, development, and execution. This position monitors site operations in the following functional areas: finance and accounting, state and federal compliance, information technology, human resources, procurement, and leadership.
- Alignment with an unqualified belief in the CHCS mission, values, and academic philosophy
- Belief that all children can achieve academic excellence
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or a related field of study
- A minimum of three years’ experience in Finance or Accounting
- Experience with financial management software
- Pass a criminal background check and other applicable background security measures
- Be nice and sincere and possess integrity
Preferred Qualifications (though not required, the following will enhance a candidate’s application):
- Experience working in the finance or accounting field of a charter school
- An advanced degree (MA or MBA) with a concentration in Finance or Accounting
- CPA certification or ability to obtain such certification within two years from the hire date
- Experience working with public school finance, accounting, auditing, and internal controls, particularly a Georgia charter school
Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
The duties and responsibilities of the Director of Operations include the five below-indicated categories:
Finance & Accounting:
- Directs the accounting function for the school
- Implements all cash management policies and analyze cash positions on an ongoing basis
- Manages the systems necessary to develop and implement appropriate accounting policies, procedures, and systems to ensure external compliance, strong internal controls, and sound fiscal management
- Leads on the preparation of the annual budget and financial accounting matters
- Oversees the annual audit and preparation of all annual returns and registrations required for the school
State & Federal Compliance:
- Ensures school is reporting all data correctly and on time
- Manages site visits by sponsor
- Maintains compliance documentation for local, state, and federal programs
- Responsible for strategic oversight of all telecommunications systems, and related technology
- Evaluates, plans, and prepares for technological improvements, including all infrastructure, software and hardware requirements
- Works in close collaboration with technology partners in all planning and execution
- Prepares short-term, mid-term, and long-term technology plans and budgets
- In collaboration with the Principal, oversees the human resources function for the school
- In collaboration with the Principal, oversees the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and practices in keeping with current industry requirements and best practices and all applicable laws, regulations, and policies
- In collaboration with the Principal, develops short-term and mid-term workforce and staffing plans for the organization
- Leads an annual, systematic review of all vendor relationships in keeping with organizational policies
- Monitors school-wide purchasing to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and policies
- Participates in evaluation and review of all sizeable purchases or leases, including, but not limited to, facilities, technology, and equipment
- Work closely with vendors to negotiate, place, and follow up on orders for approved expenses (supplies and services). Ensure that correct items are received and appropriately inventoried.
- Demonstrates willingness to assume leadership positions
- Manages time and schedule flexibility that accommodates the needs of key stakeholders
- Works positively toward meeting identified improvement goals
- Develops and maintain a confidential, collegial relationship with CHCS personnel
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, reach, bend and lift up to 30 pounds
- Must be able to give and receive information electronically
- Must be able to communicate successfully and pleasantly with personnel and the public
- Must be able to work cooperatively with others
- Must be able to respond positively to supervision and accept suggestions for improvement
- Must be able to understand and interpret written and verbal instructions
- Must keep accurate and up to date records
- Must comply with all federal, state, local, and school laws, regulations, policies and procedures
The Director of Operations reports to the CHCS Principal.
For this position, CHCS offers a competitive compensation package, including salary and comprehensive benefits. Our benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 401(k), retirement, and life insurance.
Interested candidates should forward his or her application package to [Chad Webb, Principal, at email@example.com. The application package should include: (1) cover letter; (2) resume; (3) contact information for three (3) references; and (4) any other items that you feel appropriate to demonstrate your qualifications.
For more about Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, please visit
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.