About Wesley International Academy:
Wesley International Academy (WIA) is an independent public charter school of choice serving children and families throughout the metropolitan area of Atlanta, Georgia. Although our enrollment is open to both male and female students, each receives instruction in a single-gender learning environment.
At WIA, our students are treated as unique individuals and encouraged to reach their fullest intellectual potential. WIA students participate in a curriculum that follows the guidelines established by the International Baccalaureate Organization’s (IBO) academic program of study which are intended to ensure success in a globally connected world. We offer a rigorous academic program combined with a demanding foreign language requirement for every student within a single-gender environment. Furthermore, our parents/guardians, students, and educators work together to create a positive, warm, and loving environment where children can develop themselves and reach their maximum potential.
WIA Employee Requirements: (for all positions)
• Alignment and unqualified belief in the WIA mission which includes knowledge of and commitment to the educational philosophies of the International Baccalaureate programmes
• Belief that all children can achieve academic excellence
• Be nice!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The PYP Academy Director, in conjunction with the Executive Director, is responsible for all aspects of Wesley International Academy’s primary grade students and staff (K-5) – with the primary competency being instructional leadership. The Academy Director is responsible for overseeing instruction, curriculum, assessment, and professional development. The PYP Academy Director – along with the MYP Academy Director (6-8) – works in concert with the Executive Director to lead Wesley International Academy.
A successful candidate will also demonstrate the capacity to develop systems that support a positive and well- disciplined school community, reinforced by the IB Learner Profiles. http://www.ibo.org/programmes/profile/
The PYP Academy Director must be able to demonstrate instructional and school leadership, provide family support, and evaluate and supervise teacher and student performance.
Instructional and School Leadership
• Provide exemplary leadership to all members of the WIA PYP Academy to achieve outstanding academic performance
• Work to improve student achievement by leading the educational program
• Manage, supervise, and motivate faculty and staff academic performance
• Develop and communicate the school’s systems, culture, and create a plan to achieve that vision
• Oversee curriculum development and assessment
• Implement effective internal and external assessment systems and use data to inform decisions
• Ensure strong consistency within the school program and curricular alignment with state and other rigorous standards
• Select and share effective curricular and instructional practices from and with other schools
• Serve as point person for all PYP students and families
Evaluation and Feedback:
• Oversee faculty PYP faculty and staff including evaluation and supervision.
• Manage staff, including professional development, staff observations, curriculum development, staff communication, and scheduling and program decisions.
• Lead faculty to ensure that all staff are providing well-managed and rigorous daily lessons, reasonable and effective daily homework, and regular and productive afterschool tutoring
• Foster commitment among faculty and staff to the development and fulfillment of the school’s mission and objectives
• Hold teachers accountable for meeting high standards for student academic and behavioral performance
• Work with staff on all curricular, instructional, assessment, and professional development issues and activities to ensure data drives classroom instruction
• Work with staff to foster consistency among staff in enforcing the Student and Family Handbook and other school-wide discipline policies
• Facilitate positive faculty dynamics
• Maintain communication and relations with the families of the PYP Academy, ensuring that they are kept involved with and held accountable for their children’s academic and behavioral performance
• Communicate regularly with families regarding student performance and academic achievement
• Work with staff to correspond regularly with families regarding school policies, trips, events, and milestones
• Work with staff to plan, coordinate, and support family meetings and special events
• Respond to family concerns promptly and effectively
• Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year, accredited college or university
• Experience and intimate familiarity with the IB Learner Profiles and Attributes
• 3 to 5 years of teaching experience in a K-8 setting
• Experience with coaching teachers
• Prior Administrative and/or leadership experience at a fully authorized IB School
• State of Georgia leadership certification or comparable credential from another state
• Master’s degree or higher rigorous standards
Director will also make recommendations to the Executive Director on PYP staff renewals and dismissals. communication, and scheduling and program decisions reasonable and effective daily homework, and regular and productive after school tutoring mission and objectives performance activities to ensure data drives classroom instruction and other school-wide discipline policies they are kept involved with and held accountable for their children’s academic and behavioral performance milestones
• Successful completion of a national, state, local, or regionally approved school leadership program
Submit your credentials to: http://www.wesleyacademy.org/about-us/careers/
For more about Wesley International Academy, please visit: www.wesleyacademy.org
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the listed position.