NOTE: To apply for this position, interested candidates should send (1) a cover letter summarizing interest, skills, and qualifications; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) the names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to Tonna Harris-Bosselmann at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without all three requirements will be considered incomplete.
Tapestry Public Charter School opened August 11, 2014 for grades 6 -8 and will add one grade in each subsequent year, serving grades 6 – 12 by 2018.
The mission of Tapestry is to offer an inclusive, individualized learning environment that is academically engaging, both for neurotypical students and those on the autism spectrum, and to create a positive school culture that empowers all students to take possession of their innate talents and become creative builders of their own futures.
Utilizing small, multi-age classrooms with flexible groupings and authentic hands-on learning experiences, Tapestry will provide a student-driven, experiential, sensory-based learning environment. All students will be respected, loved, and valued as the most important members of the school community. More about Tapestry may be found at tapestrycharter.org.
Tapestry seeks innovative, patient, and energetic part-time and full-time assistant teachers to join our team. Employment at Tapestry offers a unique opportunity for mission-aligned educators to help build our school from the ground up.
Special Education Assistant Teacher (Paraprofessional) – grades 6-8
• Minimum high school diploma or equivalent
• Experience working with individuals on the autism spectrum
• Positive, inclusive, and welcoming attitude
• Enthusiastic, creative, flexible approach to working with students
• Ability to differentiate methodology to accommodate learning differences
• Team player: ability to collaborate well with other members of the school community
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
• Associate’s Degree or higher
• Successful experience working as a paraprofessional or teaching assistant in a school setting
• Relevant experience working in a charter school
• Experience working with students with various learning disabilities, cognitive profiles, sensory
dysfunctions, behavior disorders, speech and language impairments, gross and fine motor
difficulty, and medical conditions
• Ability to develop and adapt curriculum and present lessons in various subject areas to students with disabilities
• Demonstrated effectiveness in working with diverse groups of students, teachers, service providers and families
• Familiarity with Universal Design for Learning, Constructivism in teaching and learning, Response to Intervention (RTI), and the Coalition of Essential Schools Common Principles
• Support the mission of Tapestry Public Charter School
• Support the general education and special education teachers in a co-taught, constructivist environment
• Modify and differentiate the general education curriculum for students with disabilities, based upon a variety of instructional techniques and assistive technologies
• Work with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material initially introduced by the teacher
• Support students so that they are included in classroom activities
• Assist students with organization and transition throughout the school day
• Maintain excellent lines of communication with families
• Confer with parents, students, and colleagues to implement individual educational plans designed to promote the student’s educational, physical, and social development, ensuring that IEPs are followed accordance with state, federal, and any other applicable guidelines, regulations, and/or laws
• Carry out specialized behavior programs under the supervision of the teacher
• Seek to empower students with disabilities to become independent self-advocates
• Regularly attend faculty meetings, work flexible hours, and perform other duties as necessary (willingness to “wear many hats”)
• Work collaboratively with the entire Tapestry stakeholder community to advance the goals of the school
• Various other duties as assigned
Compensation: Salary based on Assistant Teacher pay scale; full benefits package for full-time employees.
To apply for any of these positions, interested candidates should send (1) a cover letter summarizing interest, skills, and qualifications; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) the names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to Tonna Harris-Bosselmann, at email@example.com. Applications without all three requirements will be considered incomplete.
• Application Deadline: Open
Tapestry Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse staff and encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds.
• Before hire, applicants must satisfy a background investigation including a criminal background check.