Named 2011 Georgia Charter School of the Year by the Coca-Cola Foundation, Amana Academy is a well-established K-8 public charter school in its 8th year serving 750+ students (by August, 2014) in Alpharetta, Georgia – a northern suburb of metro Atlanta. Amana Academy is part of the Fulton County Schools system, and is accredited by SACS-CASI.
Amana Academy utilizes the project-based Expeditionary Learning instructional framework aligned to the Georgia Performance Standards. Our intent is to “push down the 4 walls of the school” by taking students out into the community to BE authors, scientists, researchers, mathematicians, and world citizens. Our established partners—local, state, and national—benefit our Crew of students, parents, teachers, and community.
Amana’s mission, focusing on high academic achievement through project-based learning expeditions, strong communication skills, world language learning—we teach Arabic, one of the 6 official languages of the United Nations, to all students grades K-8—community service, citizenship, environmental awareness, and character-building, is a school that attracts especially dedicated and talented professionals.
Our teaching faculty is comprised of professionals who are committed to education as a force for improving the world one student at a time. If you are a dedicated life-long learner who wishes to expand his/her skills and teaching portfolio, you may be a great fit for Amana Academy.
In this position you will:
• Engage K – 8 grade students in adventure programming, regular fitness activities, and sports; support every student in creating and maintaining a fitness plan
• Design compelling adventure curriculum that is standards-based with the incorporation of Amana Academy character traits
• Co-design and facilitate team and community building activities to connect students to each other and our community
• Valid Georgia Health and Physical Education (P-12) certification or out of state certificate equivalent in Georgia Health and Physical Education or provisional certification
• Minimum two (2) years prior teaching experience in an elementary and/or middle school preferred
• Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character, initiative, and have the ability to relate to a wid variety of people and cultures
• Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of child growth and development, effective instructional strategies, classroom management, learning assessment and diagnosis, and research related to learning.
• Exhibit a personality that demonstrates enthusiasm and interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents, and the community.
• Provide proof of U. S. citizenship or legal resident alien status by completing Federal Form I-9 in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
• Provide proof of U. S. citizenship or legal resident for a criminal record history check
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Amana Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply:
IMPORTANT: Please follow this format for efficient consideration.
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org Be sure to put your LAST NAME and TEACHING POSITION you are applying for in the Subject
line; eg, “Smith PE Teacher”
2. In the cover letter, indicate how your past experiences connect with Expeditionary Learning principles (www.elschools.org) and the Amana philosophy (http://www.amanaacademy.org/philosophy.htm).
3. Attach your current resume.
After initial screening of resumes, the hiring committee will conduct phone interviews immediately, and follow with collection of documentation and live interviews. (For internal Amana applicants we will review the completion of their current file and go directly to the face-to-face interview.) For more information, please visit our web site at www.amanaacademy.org.
Start Date: July 28, 2014 Contact Email: Address all letters to Cherisse Campbell at email@example.com
Contact Address: 285 South Main Street, Alpharetta, GA 30009
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SERVICE PROVIDER